04 February 2013

Last Stop Before A New Venture

I have just come back from a meeting with my associate at work and he has put his stamp of approval on the direction for the story analysis. So let me outline what's going to take place in a bit.

What We'll Look At?


For each story, all the characters will be placed in a network with links to who actually met whom.

Next, the tasks which were the most important will be laid in. With this I don't mean small items like opened a door, snuck down the corridor, and incapacitated the bad guy. These are usually combined into the general overall task of escape from jail cell.

In some tasks, certain tools or resources might be required. So these are added to the network. The Doctor's sonic screwdriver is the most notable tool. But resources can be many other items. For example, in 100,000 B.C., the spears of the cavemen are resources, as are the matches the doctor carried with him.

Finally, some of these tasks and resources require a special knowledge to use. For example just because a character has a sword [a resource] doesn't necessarily mean they know how to use it [a knowledge]. Knowledge is usually something learned like history [which barbara knows]. But knowledge can also be information a character knows about another person or situation.

After The Network's Done?


The network will then go through the analysis process to ascertain what the important parts are or is most needed.

Which Stories Will Be Done?


Currently I'm not sure. I am working on each one and when I find a promising network, then I will pick it out and run some tests. If the results are interesting, I will post the information.

And what is meant by interesting? Again, not really sure. Maybe a story with lots of people attempting to do lots of tasks agains a formidable enemy. Or one which takes place in an exploration style needing to get from point A to point B.

But the first one I will be doing is a double act. I separate An Unearthly Child and 100,000 B.C. into two stories. But for this first post, they will both be given equal billing. I found them to be good starter stories for this part of the project and will show what to expect from future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment